Saturday, January 24, 2009

Taken from a separate blog. January 17

I can see the Capitol from my house! wink!

Where: Apt. 6 ..... Washington, DC 20002
What I'm listening to: Ingrid...now Adele...
Who's around me: Sarah (who happens to be one of my roommates!), Christine from Biola and Mandi from the Ndub in St. Paul
What's in my tummy: Cheez-its...still good even on the east coast
What I see: The Capitol peeking out of my charming neighborhood in all it's lighted glory

I do plan on having a separate blog for my DC experience, but until I get my internship finalized I don't want to get it all started. No matter what however, I will have to post on Tuesday night. It's a rather big night for this city, and heck this country, wait, this world, and because I'm a mere 8 blocks from where it's all going down, there will be some fabulous pictures to post (even if they are just of his face on a jumbo-tron).

So until then, you will be the bearer of my rambling.

Our flights went down no problem...no landing in rivers, whew. The hour I got to spend with SConnolly in the Omaha airport would be the highlight, although hearing the five year-old respond to the first sight of the Washington Monument from the air as "boring" was also memorable.

Sarah's cousin picked us up from the airport and took us out to eat at this little European restaurant that we realized was open for its first evening just then. The free loaf of bread they gave us made up for the rather strange service we got. I mean, we're friendly in the Midwest, but our waiter wouldn't spend 15 minutes making small talk right after serving us our food. The quiche was good however...and all organic...maybe I'll get into that. The listing of the calories for each meal was not something I will ever be okay with. Whatevs, it was an experience.

I'm going to love being around color and ethnic food and crazy people on the metro...Oh how I've missed public transportation since my Athens days.

I hope you are doing well. I will miss Ndub dearly, as some of you have experienced already and some are going to experience with me, but I suppose this is simply just how life goes. I've been pretty surprised at how okay I've been with being away, but I think this honeymoon stage will end soon enough and I'll get teary and bitter about not being at the Hatchery to have a pitcher and cheesy fries with the girls...although it's possible that I'll be too busy discovering, exploring, learning and loving it to let it get to me....

2 comments:

  1. Dear Eli,

    We seem to both be in our element eh? Kudos to us for that.

    Also, I've been thinking about you lately because we never had a scarf tying workshop.

    Desperately unfashionable in Oxford,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete