Saturday, January 24, 2009

The first post...that should have been done a week ago.

Welcome to my blog everyone!

I officially arrived in Washington, DC on January 16. That was more than a week ago now, but because it's been a whirlwind of a week, attempting to get everything oriented and a schedule created plus sightseeing, I've delayed my first posts. My apologies.

First things first. I am participating in the American Studies Program (ASP). A 'BestSemester' program through the CCCU (Council for Christian Colleges and Universities). Here's the website: http://asp.bestsemester.com/overview.asp Check it out! Basically, I'll be taking classes for three days a week while also doing an internship. [My internship isn't finalized, but it looks as though I'll be working with the National Center for Refugee and Immigrant Children. Cross your fingers.] We live and play and study in the same place in the Northeast quadrant of the city. It's a quaint building. There are about 8 apartments with 5 or 6 students in each. Our apartment is described by other people in the program as being the most 'kick ass'. It's two stories with the largest kitchen and living area with a sweet view of the capitol building from the couch I'm sitting on now. The bathroom is a tight squeeze for six women, but we make due.

So here's the introduction to what is likely to be one of the most memorable semesters of my life. I actually posted on our Stegenga RA blog about our first day in DC, so I will copy and paste that one next, followed by my sweet Inauguration coverage and then a post about class and what tourist spots we've hit up. I have to run now, however, we're going to see an exhibit at the National Gallery of Art.

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment